Establishing Your Preferences for Healthcare
When life presents you with tough medical decisions, you may consider gathering many opinions from:
- Family and friends
- Your religious community
- Multiple physicians
Imagine that someone has to make these decisions for you because you are unable to do so for yourself.
The goal of an Advance Care Plan (ACP) is to have someone that you trust:
- Who is ready and willing to become your advocate and medical decision- maker if you cannot make your own decisions
- Who is informed about what you value in life and in health
- Who can honor your wishes working with your healthcare team
The following tool will help you:
- Select a medical decision-maker
- Assess what is important to you
- Communicate your wants and wishes
- Make your plan legal and at no cost
Creating an ACP
Because accidents and changes in medical conditions can happen unexpectedly, it is important for anyone over the age of 18 to have an Advance Care Plan.
You do not need a lawyer to create an ACP.
If you need assistance creating a plan, please ask for help from your healthcare team.
This exercise will take about 10 minutes. For privacy issues, you can’t save your work and come back to it. When you are finished you can save the file as a pdf and/or print it for your records.Create Your ACP Download Guidebook
Need help finding supportive care? Send us a message and we'll get back to you within 48 hours.