Simple Ways To Improve Your Physical Health
Improving your physical health leads to experiencing greater mental and emotional well-being. Exercise (physical activity) for example, does not only have the potential to strengthen your heart and lungs but also releases endorphins, chemical substances that can energize us and improve our mood and outlook.
Consider the following recommendations:
- Get enough rest
- Learn about good nutrition (and practice it)
- Exercise to relieve stress and improve your mood
- Get a dose of sunlight every day (10 to 15 minutes per day)
- Limit alcohol and avoid cigarettes and other drugs
Take care of yourself
Pay attention to your own needs and feelings to maintain and strengthen your mental and emotional health. Try to maintain a balance between undertaking daily responsibilities and doing things you enjoy so that it is less likely that stress and negative emotions will build up. Taking care of yourself will give you the preparation to deal with challenges if and when they arise. Consider the following:
- Do things that have a positive impact on others.
- Practice self-discipline.
- Learn or discover new things.
- Focus on enjoying the beauty of art or nature.
- Manage your stress levels (stress management strategies can help bring things back into balance such as meditation or yoga).
- Limit unhealthy habits like worrying.
Build supportive relationships
As humans, we are social creatures and have an emotional need for relationships and positive connections with others. Finding social interaction with someone who is a good listener will foster a supportive relationship as they can “hear” the feelings behind your words and not interrupt or judge or criticize you. Develop a relationship with someone who you can talk to regularly which can lead to a supportive relationship of listening to each other.
Some possible ways to connect to others:
- Get away from your computer/TV screen.
- Take daily time to spend with people you like, face-to-face (make it a priority).
- Volunteer (doing something that helps others).
- Be a joiner (join networking, social action, conservation, special interest groups…).